Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Gelato or a Gallon of Gas?


Once again I am at work, doing my boring desk job. At least I get to write! 
Anyway, I went out on my break and passed a Ciao Bella gelato store. Oh I ran over there and ordered a small cone with vanilla! mmmm it was the most amazing scoop of gelato for $4.75! Yeah, thats how much it cost me. I could have gotten a healthy salad and a small coffee at the deli downstairs. After I freaked out (inside my head) while signing the receipt, I walked over to grab a few napkins for my dripping delight and there was a sign. It read something like: "Because of increasing gas prices, we have had to increase our prices on our gelato and frozen yogurts. The cost of fruit has also gone up with the rise of gas. We will do everything to keep the cost down as much as possible."
It is a good thing I do not drive a vehicle. I mean I would use one gallon of gas and that would have to be it for the week. Here in New York I believe it is $4.75 a gallon, as much as my gelato cone! What? Incredible. I am sure that in my lifetime, gas prices will get so high that filling up your tank will be equivalent to buying a house. 
I'm not sure if you can actually compare gelato to gas but in my world it is possible. It seems like this country is in big trouble. I haven't watched or read any news recently, but it doesn't take an educated economics major to see that the future looks bleak for the gelato companies. 

No comments: