Thursday, July 17, 2008

Just got to thinking



Upper East Side. Love ya but....

I can't wait for the day when I am not surrounded by the rich women who have no concept of reality. Reality being that money does not grow on trees on a REAL planet, that it does not flow from the water faucet, and that sometimes it comes in spurts. However, that is just my reality and many others in the world. For some it is not having any money at all. For these women on the UES it is a constant flow of a "hand me down" or money from their "important" jobs. I have become such a bitter person, please excuse my language in this post. I am not envious, but it is difficult to not look at these people and wonder what they would be like if they were in a position of a low income. Some of these women get manicures, shop, and go to the Hamptons all the time. That is their reality. 

I went out with a client here at the studio that has become one of my friends. She is one of the most interesting people that I know and is one of the craziest. I guess that's why I like her. Anyway, she has loads of money just pouring out of her ears and decided to take me out to dinner last night. We go out, discuss the men in her life over two glasses of Chianti and calamari. In her language she uses words most Upper East Siders have incorporated into their vocabulary: ...house in the Hamptons, shopping, tan, dress, hair, manicure, dinners, rich men, sex, shoes, meeting, Pilates, investment....

Ok, I'm about to vomit, I must stop myself. 

As I was sipping on my delicious Chianti I sat thinking that all I have in my bank account is a negative balance and a heart attack.
I love this friend, however I can only take her in spurts. She definitely worked hard for her money and that is beautiful. In spite of it all, she also gave me some sound advice that I will never forget. She said that because she has worked so hard and has never asked anything from her parents, she made a decision at 14 years old, when she moved out, to never settle. She doesn't want to just settle for a mundane job, guy, or any decision not benefitting to her. I took that advice and compared it to my life and noticed that I have done that in some ways. I also do not want to settle for just ANYTHING in my life. I want to be a successful woman in every area in my life: career, marriage, etc...
That was some sound advice from a woman who at 35 is living on the Upper East Side in NYC and still has not had a successful relationship, but has more money than she knows what to do with. 

I will miss New York.

No comments: