Thursday, May 8, 2008

Young and FREE

Yeah, I'm free...
 
It seems that when you are young, there is a sign on your forehead that screams "USE ME FOR FREE!" When I say young I guess I mean ages 21-30. This term free seems to apply when one is in college or just out of college. One is required to work and have a career and make money to survive. Yet, those who want to hire you, only offer and expect you to work for free? I am confused. I thought that work meant money. Apparently the terms intern, apprentice, and exchange are words used for the recent college graduate. I graduated 2 years ago and I am still living with those words. Maybe if I was older and "wiser" I wouldn't agree to choose jobs with those words attached to them, but then that other word pops into the equation: Experience. If one does not take these apprentice jobs, then one cannot gain experience and if one does not have experience then one will never get jobs that do pay money, MONEY! Something else that confuses me is the idea that "club dancer" is looked down on, because that is apparently the only way one could make money by doing free work all day. Once can most certainly be a slave (a.k.a waiter) at least that is still considered a respectable job. How else does one survive in order to gain this experience you ask? Listed below are a few things that I and others have found helpful:
1. Take a boring desk job so that you can have free internet and a phone to do YOUR business
2. Scrounge up loose change that has been hiding for the past 4 years from college (when you didn't care) Examples would be: bottom of purses, in pants, laundry basket, refrigerator, cabinets, mattress, behind bed, closet, other people's pants, etc.. you get the idea.
3. Make a card board sign that says "Hungry, poor, and out of college. Please help feed me, maybe buy me a drink?"
4. Date rich people
5. Eat ramen
6. Steal someone's identity (don't really recommend this).
7. Ride a bike
8. Thrift stores for your clothing, or have a clothe swapping party with your friends. Highly recommend making sure you are all the same size. You don't want to have to wear Rhonda's fat pants.
9. COSCO: Go in with your friends and claim yourself as a family to get a discount
10. Bribe your family for money. 

1 comment:

TheBookKnerd said...

number 4 sounds good to me ;)