Monday, May 5, 2008

Sub Talk


I have found that living in the city has made me more of a people watcher. From birth I was always a people watcher and growing up continually imitated those around me. I guess you could say its in my family. Growing up after dinner, my family and I would sit around the living room and play a game called imitations, or impressions. Imitations involved impersonating someone you knew and everyone had to guess who it was. Now these were not to mock or be mean, but simply to have a good laugh. We would imitate each other and most of the time someone would get upset. It was mostly my sister who would sit and pout after me or my brother would imitate her mad pouty face, just to see her do it, and it always worked. Everyone has to admit that watching people is some of the greatest entertainment there is. I mean this is why SNL is so popular and stand up comedy, because they are making fun of people! In my opinion what makes situations laughable is the fact that most people are oblivious to the fact that they are ridiculous....

The Subway is set up to where you have to face each other while taking your commute to wherever it is you must go. So you get on the train and sit down where you can. Once you're there you must acquaint yourself to those around you. I don't mean introduce yourself or say hi or make eye contact, but I do mean that once you've been sitting there for a while you get bored and when someone new enters the train... well you MUST see who they are. Even if you don't care (I don't) it is still human nature, I believe, to be curious about your surroundings. With that said, once you're sitting there eventually you and the person across from you make eye contact for a second. It can be awkward if you let it...

1. Sometimes the person will look away quickly as to pretend they did not see you looking at them.
2. Sometimes the person will just keep staring as if you do not see them staring AT you.
3. Sometimes the person will lean over and read what you are reading.
4. Sometimes the person will stare at your shoes as if you have the most interesting shoes on (even if they are nasty tennis shoes you've had for 10 years.
5. Sometimes the person will close their eyes as to not make any sort of contact what so ever.
6. Sometimes the person will sit on top of you (in most cases because they are too fat for the seat).
7. Sometimes the person will take up the entire row of seats with their belongings (or fat butt) so that you cannot sit there.
8. Sometimes the person will move far away to another seat as if you smell.
9. Sometimes the person will have their ipod on so loud that you can hear every beat and lyrics to a rap song about someone else's ass.
10. Sometimes the person will look around at every possible thing and person on the train and make you feel so uncomfortable that you begin to follow their eyes to see what is so damn interesting.


No comments: